My broad areas of interest are: (1) social cognition, specifically (a) conceptualization of social categories and (b) effects of alcohol on social judgments; and (2) cross-cultural research, particularly explicit and implicit ethnic attitudes.
In the conceptualization of social categories line of research, I explore the effects of within-group variability on person perception, implicit and explicit ethnic prejudice and stereotyping, and perceptions of attractiveness. Recently, I started investigating the link between alcohol-related cues and racial biases; this research is supported by ABMRF/The Foundation for Alcohol Research (2011-2013). For details, please see:
In my cross-cultural line of research, I address these effects internationally, examining the moderating role of socio-cultural context. Many of my research projects address applied issues as well (e.g., the reduction of prejudice).
I will be accepting graduate students for FALL 2017 admissions.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Intergroup Relations
- Person Perception
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Social Cognition and Behavior Laboratory
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Dunham, Y. Dotsch, R., Clark A. R., & Stepanova E. V. (2016). The development of White-Asian categorization: Contributions from skin color and other physiognomic cues. PLOS ONE, 11(6): e0158211. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0158211
- Dunham, Y., Stepanova, E. V., Dotsch, R., & Todorov, A. (2015). The development of race-based perceptual categorization: skin color dominates early category judgments. Developmental Science, 18, 469-483.
- Gilad, C., & Stepanova, E. V. (2015). The effect of religious priming on attitudes toward homosexuality. Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research, 20 (4), 188-196.
- Stepanova E. V., Bartholow, B. D., Saults, J. S., & Friedman, R. S. (2012). Alcohol-related cues promote automatic racial bias. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Stepanova E. V., & Strube, M. J. (2012). The role of skin color and facial physiognomy in racial categorization: Moderation by implicit racial attitudes. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Stepanova, E. V., & Strube, M. J. (2012). What’s in a face? The role of skin tone, facial physiognomy, and color presentation mode of facial primes in affective priming effects. Journal of Social Psychology, 152(2), 212-227.
- Stepanova, E. V., & Strube, M. J. (2009). Making of a face: Role of facial physiognomy, skin tone, and color presentation mode in evaluations of racial typicality. Journal of Social Psychology, 149(1), 66-81.
- Stepanova, E. V., Strube, M. J., & Hetts, J. J. (2009). They saw a triple lutz: Bias and its perception in American and Russian newspaper coverage of the 2002 Olympic figure skating scandal. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39(8), 1763-1784.
- Stepanova, E. V., Strube, M. J, *Limes, D., & *Clote, L. E. (in press). Pictorial race activation in priming measures. Basic and Applied Social Psychology. doi:10.1080/01973533.2016.1201484
- Stepanova, E. V., Strube, M. J, & Yablonsky, G. S. (2013). Now one is Russian, now one is not: Ethnic attitudes and categorization effects in the Russian Federation. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, 2(2), 85-99.
- Stepanova E. V. (2013). Cross-ethnicity effect (Face recognition). In K. Keith (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural Psychology. (pp. 286-288). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Stepanova, E. V. & Hagiwara, N. (2016). Category-Based and Feature-Based Bias: Measurement and Application. In M. Casas, L. Suzuki, C. Alexander, and M. Jackson (Eds.) Handbook of Multicultural Counseling (4th Edition).
Elena V. Stepanova
Department of Psychology
118 College Drive, #5025
Hattiesburg, Mississippi 39406
- Phone: (601) 266-4342
- Skype Name: elenavstepanova